Main Menu

Confused about the date of Idul Fitri

Started by Amin, October 11, 2007, 04:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amin

My name Is Ali al-Amin Sirias. I have been a Muslim for 3 years now. I am originally from Canada but now live in Indonesia. I am confused as to what date is the final day of Ramadan. Here in Indonesia there are 2 groups with different opinions. One says that the 12th is Idul Fitri and the other says the 13th. I have been unable to get a clear answer on to why it is like this here. Could someone please inform me on what is right? How do we know when the fast ends? What is the traditional way of finding out? Is it 29 days or 30? Is it regarding the timing of the new moon? Please help.

Assalamualaikum

YaSin

It's unclear at the moment, not everyone knows. The day's just ended... that's why there's confusion at the moment. I'll try to keep you updated.

YaSin

Alright, it's Eid Tomorrow (The 12th), I've confirmed with friends, relatives and the local masjid.

Amin

Thanks for the help YaSin. Are you in Indonesia also? If so where?

Jannah

wsalaam,

amin the answer is going to depend on the fiqh of moonsighting and there are quite a few differences in that. everyone's eid is going to be different depending on their scholars/community/mosque and even within mosques you have different opinions!! Some people want to go according to local country moonsighting, some go according to global moonsighting and some go with calculation. and even within moonsighting some people are stricter with reports so there's always going to be a difference.

In the end your best answer is to go with your local masjid, after all it is there you will be doing the Eid prayer!!!