Main Menu

Husband often doesn't pray?

Started by Anonymous, December 05, 2007, 03:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Assalamualakum,
I recently got married and my husband is a revert to Islam.  Before we were married my
understanding was that he was a practising muslim, and I would see him pray, fast, and so
on.  However, now that we are married, often he will not pray at work and even at home.
  If I remind him, most of the time he prays.  He isn't hostile about it, but just seems to
not care.  I've asked him repeatedly if he is muslim by choice and wants to be muslim and
he says yes.  The thing is, now I feel like I will put him off by nagging.  I don't want
him to dislike praying and I really want it to be from the heart.  He will hear the azan
and still not pray.

What can I do?  I really love him, but when he doesn't pray, astaghfirullah, my heart
turns away from him.  I don't want to abandon him, that would be the easy and I think,
cowardly thing to do, but it is so hard and stressful for me and our relationship for me to
constantly be reminding him.  And now we are having a child I would love for him to be the
islamic father he should.  What can I do?  Should I just pray to Allah to open his heart?
  Should I keep reminding him?  Should I be tougher or more lenient? 
Jazakallah for your advice. 
This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publically so that they can read any replies.

JustOne

[slm]

Ack!  Don't nag.

I know it's uber important to pray, but you can't force anyone to pray. 

All you can do is get up and say, I'm praying..Want to join me? orrr...Let's Maghrib!

I like that...maghrib makes a good verb. Isha on the other hand, makes a terrible verb. Let's Isha sounds like a very daunting task.

I think you need to be patient inshaAllah.  Oh and yes, make duaa for sure.

Wasalaam.
"Thus let me live, unseen, unknown; thus unlamented let me die...and not a soul tell where I lie."

Humbling the vertical pronoun.

timbuktu

[slm]

Please make this dua, at least 3 times after every fard prayer.

74. And those who say: "Our Lord! Bestow on us from our wives and our offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and make us leaders for the pious."

رَبَّنَا هَبْ لَنَا مِنْ أَزْوَاجِنَا وَذُرِّيَّاتِنَا قُرَّةَ أَعْيُنٍ وَاجْعَلْنَا لِلْمُتَّقِينَ إِمَامًا

peaceman

[slm]

Honorable sister,

You are doing the right thing by reminding your husband to pray, and rather it is obligatory for you to dissuade your husband from commiting sins, by skipping prayers. Skipping prayers is considered to be a very big sin that many scholars say bring a person out of the fold of Islam into disbelief.  It is encumbant on all muslims to encourage each other on what is just and right, not encourage sins and wrong.

You should also try to relight the enthusiasm for your husband to learn the Islamic knowledge, that reverts have when they first accept Islam. 

And Allah knows.

[wlm]
-----------------

We should be kind and peaceful to all people, and keep in mind that Allah will repay everyone in the afterlife.