Main Menu

SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW BOARD!!! I want to hear from you!!!

Started by Jannah, December 15, 2007, 11:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannah

Salaam,

So working on the new board now and it's a good opportunity to change some things around. So what would you guys like to see/not see or change around? For example, in colors, layout, features, smileys, avatars, images, things to add, things that would make it easier cooler, new categories, sections anything?

ws

Jannah

salams,

here's some ideas we came up with in the chat.... what do you guys think!!

mandatory introductions forum everyone has to fill out a basic template/questionnaire

gender only rooms based on registration sistersonly/brosonly strictly closed to other

hover and get first lines of post

parenting forum

shoutbox along the side

announcements only forum

comments/suggestions forum

faqs

marriage forum

tech forum

topic of the week forum ie. Like would you say salam to a Muslim girl at the checkout or would you go to the next one:P

completely anonymous posting forum

add samosa and falafel smiley

some kind of IM system

reputation points system

here's the whole chat archive if ur interested to get ideas: http://chatlogs.meebo.com/room/madinachatjannahorg/logs/2007/12/15/

THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO BUILD ANEW, SO PLS GIVE UR SUGGESTIONS!!!

Jannah

Halima

[slm],

How about a "reflections" forum?  A place where anyone can post thoughts on different issues - which have occurred in one's life or a friends, a relative, etc., at one point or another.

Additional colours apart from the ones currently available, as much as possible.

Quotecomments/suggestions forum

Does the above imply that if you have a comment on a particular topic in any of the forums, you have to post it in the comments/suggestion forum only and not in the actual forum where the issue has been posted? 

If so, I think that will be cumbersome - says lazy me, of course!

[wlm]

Halima
The Almighty Allah says,
"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Abu Huraira

Jannah

wsalaam,

thanx for writing back :)

comments/suggestions forum for the website i mean like if anyone has any suggestions for new forums and stuff

i like the idea of reflections.. i was thinking of calling it "Inspiration Falls" !!

Halima

Quotecomments/suggestions forum for the website i mean like if anyone has any suggestions for new forums and stuff

Ah!  I am relieved!

Quotei was thinking of calling it "Inspiration Falls" !!

Brilliant!
The Almighty Allah says,
"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Abu Huraira

tq

Assalamo elikuim
Sr. Jannah we very much care :) Why would I be part of board since 1998(or was it 99 when it was first started ?) :)
Here are some suggestions
1)Section for Teenagers (or may be this would be topic of the week  forum ?)
2)Fun Places to go and see (within USA,UK and also around the world)
3)Current Affairs (or it might be a too hot topic :))

Wasalam
tq

umm ibraheem

Asalaamu alaikum,

My only suggestion is, while it will be nice to have new forums, please don't make it so many more that you have to scroll and scroll to see everything, and it gets alittle overwhelming!  I like how it is now, i can look at the screen and pretty much see everything and not waste time, but a handful of more rooms would be nice. 

Thats my thoughts :)

M.F.

Assalamu alaikum,
Jazakillah khair for all the effort you put into this.  I think maybe people aren't answering because this board feels so homey now and we're afraid remodeling will make it feel strange.
I agree with umm ibraheem that it shouldn't have so many forums that it gets overwhelming.
For a long time I've wished there was a parents corner on the board.  I've seen message boards for muslim parents but they're hard to keep up with,and because I'm shy I don't like jumping in to a board that's already existed for a long time.  Also, one board addction is enough.
The ego in me likes the recognition points system (is that like the one on spark.com, where you get a bigger and bigger "trophy" the more you post? but my inner sufi tells me it'll be bad for my nafs :p
And yes, I definitely like the "hover" option where you don't have to go to the trouble of clicking on a thread to see what it's about  :-X
I've never gone on the chat and don't really know how it works so I don't have any input on that.

siddiqui

[slm]
can we have some enforcement of the constitution ? Hate to see this site being used as medium for bigotry and hatered
[wlm]

Jannah

wsalaam,

ppl if you have a complaint against someone/something please let me know!

also, we do have to realize that there are many people, muslims included, that will not have the same views as everyone else. they have a right to their views and if we disagree we should post and tell them in order to have mature discussion. if we want a certain normal moderate view of islam to be propagated we have to respond when 'extremists' on either side speak their views, BECAUSE there is a whole third party that is just watching the discussion and may think "that" is the true islamic view on things.

Jannah

salam,

so here is what i was thinking for the boards/forums!! it may seem like a lot but it's mostly categorizing so we'll see maybe we can combine a few things if needed.

Madina HQ         
  -Announcements       
  -FAQs       
  -Suggestions       

The Madina Minaret       

----------

Introductions       

Courtyard of Madinan Life (members only)      
  -the Single Life       
  -Teen yrs       
  -College & Careers       
  -Marriage       
  -New Muslims       
  -Parenting & Kids       

Bebzi Stand       
  -Topic of the Week       
  -Madina Chat       

Naseeha Corner       
  -Anonymous Board (anyone posting shows up as anonymous!)      

Inspiration Falls       
  -How to be a better Muslim       
  -Projects and Ideas       
  -Islam and Spirituality       

---------

Madina Mosque       
  -Islamic Articles DB       
  -Controversies & Answers       
  -Studying Arabic Club       

The Silk Road       
  -Islamic History
  -Photos & Travelogues       
  -Islamic Poetry       

Int'l House of Kabob       
  -Recipes       
  -Bookworms       
  -Film Reviews       
  -Cool New Websites       
  -Nasheedaholics       

Ummah & Society Center       
--US News       
--World News       
--Health & Nutrition       
--Islamic Finance & Economics       
--Science, Technology & the Environment       

The Gentleman's Club  (brothers only)   
Sister's Spa & Resort   (sisters only)

humor me

[slm]

i really  don't know what changes to make. 

maybe you could make an idiot's forum where people like me can have some fun.

also maybe you could link it somehow to facebook, etc.. since that is where most people spend their time i think

maybe you could have a forum "too grown up for the madina" forum for bhudda type people (i.e. people who got married) since all the married people who were once interesting disappear or become boring..

Jannah

salaam

[mem]

So y'all can start registering and checking out the new board. it's at jannah.org/madina

it will be linked to themadina.com on january 1st yayy new year and this one will become an archive for 2006-2007

in the meantime i'm working on adding some smileys personalizing it a bit and maybe seeing what we can add/take out

so REGISTER!

post around and test it out... don't worry it'll all get deleted before the 'grand opening'
[/mem]

ps I totally hear ya humor me... married ppl go into their married world so sad :( and facebook seems to be totally sucking up all other websites, pretty soon there'll be nothing else left and i'll have to close the board and go on permanent vacation  :'( !

Laila_Y_A

I kinda liked the forums the way they were(are  ;D ). I don't have any new suggestions to make, but I hate 'facebook' and would never belong to that place. I like a spot where you do not have to put up with outright rudeness, hate and bigotry.
I like the Madina as is!
ليلا

quote Mae West : "Anytime you take religion for a joke, the laugh's on you".

Faizah

As salaamu alaikum

I like some of the proposed new sections; I might suggest however a name other than "The Gentleman's Club" as unfortunately they aren't similar to a spa/resort.  Also while it is a good idea to have brother-only and sister-only sections where the other isn't allowed since there are sometimes issues of discussion that aren't for the other, there are other issues where the opposite's perspective may be just what is needed.

I agree that a link to facebook or similar sites shouldn't be an option.  Such sites have turned from "harmless" fun to having elements of negativity; not something we want here.

As salaamu alaikum

Faizah

umm ibraheem

I agree with Faizah about gentlemen's club.  Isn't there a place on route 9. called that? eww.

Jannah

oh wow

ok i was thinking those old world english cigar clubs, but i see what u mean

Faizah

That's the problem with words or phrases; often the original meaning is replaced by a more contemporary one that is vastly different than the original.

Fa'izah

Baji

salaams

sis don't know if this is the place for it but after my experiences with non hajj this year i would like if you agree to have a forum where people can post rogue tour operators... second thoughts perhaps it would be better to have decent operators instead, perhaps split by country!!!

Baji

BrKhalid

Asalaamu Alaikum  [beardbro]

Quotemaybe you could have a forum "too grown up for the madina" forum for bhudda type people (i.e. people who got married) since all the married people who were once interesting disappear or become boring..

Bro..I am so showing your future wife that quote when you get married  ;)

"The good deed and the evil deed are not alike. Repel the evil deed with one which is better, then lo! he, between whom and thee there was enmity (will become) as though he was a bosom friend" [41:34][/b]

lala marcy

salaaam sis,

I'll check out the new site. ..sorry i've been out of the loop and NO I have not gotten married:) lol

Achee

[slm] I m so lately, but Eid Mobarak 2 all....
I would likeeeeeeeeeeee, have, A Forum (0ne) thread  for help and tipps stuff like,  about Computer,Internet,Webdesign,Graphicdesign,Video,Audio,Hardware,Software etc.......
its to much wish, i guess  ;D
[slm]

Jannah

[slm]

I don't like change as much as the next person.  But imagine where we would be if we didn't change? Remember the board 10 years ago with its threaded black and pink inline links at a hosted site? Every message had to be approved and there were maybe 8 people posting. And remember the board where every month we had to post fixing the board threads to fix the date and time. And remember every successive board (the blue, the olive, the purple and green) and how it changed and hopefully improved? It's been tough, we've weathered many a fight, crashes, an occasional hack, and many people coming in and out but we still survived. We need change to keep things fresh and not stagnant. There is such a thing as becoming too comfortable. Lately it's been feeling like the only people who post are me and a few others, and occasionally someone may comment on anonymous's problems. I mean what's the point of that? The Madina is NOT a blog. It is supposed to be a community. Everyone needs to participate and share. Everyone needs to feel like they know each other and that we're helping each other, that we're friends, fellow brothers and sisters. It should be a place where if we traveled we could meet and visit each other's houses, that we could attend each other's weddings. Not that we are nameless, faceless, anonymous posters. In business there is a concept called synergy, that a group is more than it's parts. When the Madina is together and everyone participates and contributes it is way more than any blog, website, or facebook. Hopefully we can recreate that on the new Madina.  [ia]

rahma

AA, everyone.

I would like to see a board entitled "Stupid Questions, Smart Answers".  So many times someone says to me or I hear a stupid question like, for example, "why do you Muslims like blowing things up?"  or "Don't you get hot wearing that "thing" on your head?".  My mind goes blank and I can't think up a decent reply.  Or else I finally think of an answer later on at two o'clock in the morning.  Or maybe you can call the board "I Shoulda Said..."

It would just be nice to have a place where people can put all their smart replies so other Muslims can be ready with quick comebacks whenever they are confronted with stupidity.

Just a thought.

Lion

Salams,

I like everything so far Jannah, it looks great. I'm looking forward to a great "new year."

Geez, another year? I'm getting old.  8)