Main Menu

Madina & Jannatul Baqi

Started by Jannah, November 08, 2006, 04:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannah

Al-Madinah al-Munawarah, the place chosen by our Lord Supreme for His Supreme Master of creation  and his Companions RadhiAllahu anhum to lie in rest. Madinah, the nest for Faith, the commanding centre, the school of teaching and learning the correct Islamic guidance, the Pure, the Good, radiates with their collective efforts. Baqi Gharqad, or Jannatul Baqi, with a priceless treasure of truth and purity, of love and dedication buried in this small plot of land! Asleep here are those who had sacrificed the life of this world for the life of futurity. It is a wonderful mind and heart exercise to attempt to envisage the early days of the birth of this great Ummah,

In this context, Baqi Al-Gharqad, is one of the most important features of this enlightened city, since the time of the Rasulullah  until today.

Rasulullah  maintained regular visits and making Dua for those who are buried in it.

"Peace be upon you, O abode of the faithful! Allah willing, we should soon join you. O Allah, forgive the Companions of al-Baqi". And "Peace be upon you, O inhabitants of the graves. May the Almighty Allah forgive us and you all. You are our forerunners and we shall certainly join you." And finally, "Peace be upon you, O abode of Believers. You are our forerunners and we will surely join you. O Allah! Do not deprive us of the reward of (supplicating for) them, nor lead us astray after them."

Baqi Al-Gharqad was named after a prominent type of tree that was dominant in its ground. The t[attracted] trees of Gharqad. It was not the only graveyard of the people of Madinah before Islam but based on the command of Allah, Rasulullah  made it the graveyard for Muslims. Only then did Baqi acquire a special status. Imam Malik mentioned that about 10,000 of the Companions RadhiAllahu anhum are buried in the Baqi.

Many Hadith have been narrated emphasizing the great status of those who are buried in Baqi. Rasullulah  said "Whoever can die in Madinah should do so as I intercede for those who die in it" Insha'Allah we will be amongst them.

The supplication of the Rasulullah  for the for giveness of the people buried in Baqi is implicated from his regular visits to Baqi and attending the burials of his companions. Whenever he noticed a new grave he would supplicate for the dead person and say "My prayer for the dead is a mercy for him".

Ummul Momineen Aishah  said that Rasulullah  upon spending the night with her, would go out to Baqi and say "Peace be upon you, a residence of believing people, you have received the promises, and you are waiting for the day. We, by the Will of Allah, will join you. O Allah, forgive the residents of Baqi Al-Gharqad".

The residents of Baqi are the first people to be resurrected from the graves of after Rasulullah  and his two companions Hazrat Abu Bakr  and Hazrat Umar  Rasulullah  said "I am the first to be resurrected then Hazrat Abu Bakr then Hazrat Umar then I get to the residents of Baqi and they are resurrected with me, then I wait for the people of Makkah to join us between the two holy places." Isa,  will be buried in the same chamber as Rasulullah  and Hazrat Umar and Hazrat Abu Bakr will be resurrected after them. And another narration says that Syedina Bilal who is buried in Damascus will be resurrected at the feet of Rasulullah

Rasulullah  said "Whoever died in either of the two holy places would be resurrected safe on the day of judgment".

Rasulullah  said "Do you see this graveyard (referring to Baqi Al Gharqad)? Seventy thousand will be resurrected from it on the Day of Judgment looking like a shining full moon. They will enter Jannah without reckoning"

When Hazrat Umar  made the Du'a, "O Allah grant me martyrdom in Your way and cause me to die in the city of Your Rasul and be buried in Baqi." People would ask how he could have martyrdom in Madinah? He answered that if Allah Ta'ala gave me the Du'a then He too will provide the means for that to happen. SubhanAllah, how his Du'a was accepted exactly as he asked.

Historians have developed a map of Baqi showing known grave sites.

Insha'Allah begin this "tour" at the area circled in pink, then proceeding north to the red dot, following the line of coloured dots to the east. After the grave of Hazrat Abu Saeed Al-Khudri turn westward to the wall directly opposite Masjid Nabawi for the remaining sites indicated by black, white and the lime green dot.

Pink area; centre for registering deaths and washing the bodies, if people choose not to do it themselves in their homes.

Red. The graves of the household of Rasulullah  Syeda Fatimah, Syedina Al-Abbas Ibn Abdel Muttalib, Hazrat Al-Hasan Ibn Ali, the head of Hazrat Al-Hussein Ibn Ali (according to some narrations), Hazrat Zain Al-Abedeen Hazrat Ibn Al-Hussein Ibn Ali, Hazrat Muhammad Al-Baqir Ibn Zain Al-Abedeen, Hazrat Jafar Assadiq Ibn Muhammad Al-Baqir and Ali Ibn Abi Talib (according to some narrations that his son Al-Hasan transferred him to Madina.) And Allah Knows Best.

Pink. The graves of the daughters of Rasulullah Syeda Um Kulthum, Syeda Ruqayah and Syeda Zaynab.

Purple. The graves of the wives of Rasulullah Ummul Momineen's Aisha Bint Assiddiq, Sawda Bint Zama, Hafsa Bint Umar, Zaynab Bint Khuzayma, Um Salama Bint Abi Umayya, Juwayriya Bint Al-Harith, Um-Habiba Ramla Bint Abi Sufyan, Safeya Bint Huyay Ibn Akhtab and Zaynab Bint Jahsh.

Dark blue. The grave of Hazrat Aqil Ibn Ibi Talib and those with him from the clan of Hashim Aqil Ibn Abi Talib, Abdullah Ibn Jafar Attayar and Abu Sufyan Ibn Al-Harith Ibn Abdulmuttalib.

Teal. The graves of Hazrat Anas Ibn Malik and those with him. Imam Malik Ibn Anas and that of Nafi (the teacher of Imam Malik).

Light blue. The grave of Uthman Ibn Mazoun, he was the first immigrant to be buried in Baqi. He died in Shaban, thirty months after Hijrah. Others in the same area are Abdel Rahman Ibn Awf, Saad Ibn Abi Waqqas, Khunais Ibn Huzafa Assahmi and Sydea Fatima Bint Asad (the mother of Ali Ibn Abi Talib).

Green. The grave of Ibrahim the son of Rasulullah There are many narrations about his death and burial. Ibn Hajar narrates that when Ibrahim, the son of Rasulullah  died, Rasulullah  said "He has joined our pious predecessor Uthman Ibn Mazoun". Rasulullah   sprinkled water on his grave. It was the first grave to be sprinkled with water.

Yellow. The graves of the martyrs of "Al-Harra" These are those who were martyred during the days of Yazeed Ibn Muawiyah while defending Al Madinah Al Munawwarah.

Orange. The grave of the third Caliph, Hazrat Usman This grave used to be outside Baqi, but it was included during the Umayyad period. Currently, the grave of Hazrat Usman Ibn Affan is in the middle of northern portion of Baqi on a slightly higher ground surrounded by passages to the northern and eastern parts of Baqi. It was narrated in history books that whenever Hazrat Usman passed by "Hush Kawkab", he would say "A pious man will be buried here." It was him who was the first to be buried there.

Light pink. The grave of Saad Ibn Muaz. He was injured in the course of the battle of "the Trench" and he made a Du'a, so Allah stopped the bleeding from his injury until the day his Du'a was fulfilled and Allah contented his heart with issuing a judgement about the tribe of "Banu Quraiza". As soon as he finished with the judgement, his injury exploded with blood and he died in the Masjid of Rasulullah

Cream. The grave of Abu Saeed Al-Khudri It was outside Baqi from the northeastern side on the road leading to the eastern "Harra". The grave was included in Baqi in the last expansion in the year 1385.

White and black side by side. The graves of the aunties of Rasulullah  Safiya Bint Abdel Muttalib, Atika Bint Abdel Muttalib

Long white rectangle, approximate place where Masjid of Abi ibn Ka'b used to be, now offices.

Lime green. The grave of Ismail Ibn Jafar Assadiq (moved here during 1412 Hijri expansion)

AbdulBasir

[slm]
Nice diagram of al-Baqi. Regarding the grave of Uthman ibn Affan [ra], as you can see he is all the way at the periphery (the darker colored area on the satellite image more or less is the near original size of the graveyard) and at the time, it was on the outskirts of Madina (the city of Madina at that time only was the area that currently is within the current expanded complex of Masjid Nabi. Because of the fitnah at the time, he [ra] had to be buried secretly at the very edge.

About the wives of the Prophet, one will notice that Maymunah [ra] a is missing. It's a nice story to relate so thought I'd mention it.

After the Treaty of Hudaybiyah, the Muslims returned back the next year to Makkah to perform their Umrah. On the way back to Madinah, the Prophet married Maymunah at a place called Sarif. It is said that Maymunah had always wished to be buried in the place where she was married to Rasulallah. And as it happened, over forty years after his death she [ra] a passed away on the way betwen Madinah and Makkah in that same place of Sarif.

She remains buried there to this day, all alone, as if she is waiting to be reunited with her beloved at the place of their marriage. Her grave lies nearby the main highway between Madinah and Makkah.
"Be in the estimation of Allah the best of people, and in the estimation of your nafs the worst of people, and in the estimation of others a man from amongst the people"-Sayiddina Ali bin Abi Talib

AbdulBasir

The first wife of the Prophet, our mother Khadijah [ra] a died in Makkah so she is buried there. Though there is some difference of opinion, the majority of authorities feel that she [ra] a is buried in the main cemetery of Ma'la in Makkah shown below.

One interesting thing to note is that the Prophet , upon entering Makkah during Fath Makkah, specifically went out of his way to enter the city from the northeast so that he passed by the grave of his beloved Khadijah [ra] a.
"Be in the estimation of Allah the best of people, and in the estimation of your nafs the worst of people, and in the estimation of others a man from amongst the people"-Sayiddina Ali bin Abi Talib

moe19x

Is this true?
"Prior to the twentieth century, many of the graves were covered with domes or other structures.
However, after the city of Madinah was taken by the Wahabbi forces of Ibn Saud, many of these buildings and tombs, originally intended to identify famous figures and enable Muslims to receive blessings or petition saints buried there for their intercession, were destroyed, in order to keep with the Wahabbi ideal of not venerating graves."

and "Despite this, the graves of many historic figures continue to be visited by numerous pilgrims and burials continue at the cemetery to this day as well.

After the demolition of 1925, Saudi authorities have stepped up restrictions with regards to visiting graves. Shias come to Jannatul Baqi to pay respect to their leaders, and this often involves invoking the dead and reciting salutations"

I would love to take a trip to the middle east and visit the Grave of our prophet his family and his companions.

AbdulBasir

[slm]
There are some errors in the diagram (e.g where is Fatima bint Muhammad[saw], and Maymunah isn't buried in al-Baqi, among others); the one posted by jannah is more accurate.

As to the removal of domes on graves, I know this happened for instance at the al-Ma'la cemetery in Makkah (posted above) and it happened elsewhere too.

Jannah

salam,

Anyone know if the shia's have a different viewpoint on where Ali (ra) is buried? I mean where is he buried??

Someone sent me this:

QuoteWhile visiting the Hajj gallery, i saw the photos and read the description. I came across the following two paragraphs.

1. Another satellite photo shows Masjid an-Nabi and surroundings. Odd that the green dome isn't visible. The large field "underneath" the mosque is the Jannatul Baqiy cemetary. From these spots on the earth will the Prophet (saw), his daughters, Abu Bakr, Umar, Ali, many of the mothers of the believers and companions be raised up. If only we could be raised up among them.
   2. The famous Jannatul Baqiy Cemetary the resting abode of Ali (ra), the daughters of Muhammad (saw), all the wives (except Khadija (ra) who is buried in Makkah), almost all of the famous companions and those who die in Madinah. Where the prophet will come first after being resurrected.

Ali-ibn-abi-talib is burried in najaf (iraq) not in madinah. This is an error, so do correct it. Usman bin affan instead of Ali-ibn-abi talib is burried in madinah.

AbdulBasir

Quote from: Jannah on November 15, 2006, 08:57:22 PM
salam,
Anyone know if the shia's have a different viewpoint on where Ali (ra) is buried? I mean where is he buried??
[slm]
From the sources I've come across and from the times I've been there, I've never heard anyone claim that Ali bin Abi Talib [ra] is buried in al-Baqi. But I guess one of the sources you found says that some opine that Hasan[ra] brought his father back to Madina.

The most plausible explanation is that he is buried in Iraq, since that is where he was killed. And I think that if most authorities had to pick one place, they would say it is Najaf. Most say that Harun ar-Rashid built the shrine after hearing from the locals that that was the site, but Allahu 'Alam. At the same time, even amongst the Shiah, some believe that he is buried in Mazar al-Sharif in Afghanistan, and it historically was a major pilgrimage site (people used to put al-Mazari in the same way they put al-Hajj before their names to honor their pilgrimage, they used to do the same with Karbala, Najaf etc).

Bottom line is no one really knows for sure. Allahu 'Alam.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview